Birth Trauma and Chiropractic:
We all know that giving birth is one of the most painful experiences a woman can go through, but it is also traumatizing for the newborn. An average, hospital performed birth, in the United States consists of a doctor putting approximately 100+ pounds of tension on the child’s neck and shoulders all while twisting the baby head and neck up to 135 degrees (A, Towbin).
The U.S. birthing system is lacking in the evaluation and checking of the newborn’s spine and skull for abnormalities. Abraham Towbin M.D. did a study at Harvard Medical School’s department of Neuropathology, he states, “Survival of the newborn is governed mainly by the integrity and function of the vital centers in the brain stem. Yet paradoxically, the importance of injury at birth to the brain stem and spinal cord are matters which have generally escaped lasting attention” (Towbin, A). In order to ensure the spinal integrity, every newborn should be checked by a chiropractor as soon as possible after birth. A Structural Shift (aka vertebral subluxation) caused by birth trauma can actually stay with that person into adulthood.
Chiropractic care not only assists in the spinal health of the child, but also can help the development of the child’s skull. A case study was done in 2010 on a 3 week old baby girl experiencing craniosynotosis (when joints in the skull join prematurely), the mother began bringing the child to a chiropractor. The measurement of the child’s skull when she was born was 34.5cm, after just 6 chiropractic visits the child’s head measured 39.2cm (Alcantara, J).
After the birthing process a child is introduced to life and all of its wonders, and some of its not so wonderful aspects such as germs, falls, injuries, etc. It is the guardian’s job to ensure that each child is well equipped to handle all sorts of problems. Chiropractic care not only helps your child structurally speaking, but also helps strengthen their immune system. Children who received chiropractic care after birth and continually afterward experience increased immunity to average childhood diseases (Rose-Aymon, S). Chiropractic care is for everyone, don’t leave your child at home to develop the problems you are having. Get them checked regularly and support them with a healthy lifestyle.
• Joel Alcantara, DC 1 and Julie Doucet, DC 2
1. Research Director, International Chiropractic Pediatric Association, Media, Pa and Private Practice of Chiropractic, San Jose, CA, USA
2. Private Practice of Chiropractic, St-Felicien, QC, Canada
• Journal of Pediatric, Maternal & Family Health – Chiropractic ~ Volume 2010 ~ Issue 2 ~ Pages 35 -40. Abstract
• Neglected spinal cord, brain stem and musculoskeletal injuries stemming from birth trauma Gottlieb MS. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 1993 (Oct);16 (8):537-543
• Ohm, J. (2009, May 26). FWF – 040 – Truth Be Told. Retrieved June 9, 2015, from http://icpa4kids.org/Wellness-Newsletter/fwf-040-truth-be-told.html
• Rose-Aymon S, Aymon M. Prochaska-Moss G, Moss R, Rebne R, Nielsen K. Journal of Chiropractic Research, 1989 (Spring): 70-77.
• Towbin, A. (1969, February 1). Latent Spinal Cord and Brain Stem Injury in Newborn Infants. Retrieved June 9, 2015.